Thursday, February 16, 2006

Paper, Paper! Read all about it!

Years ago people believed that in the future there would be such a thing as the paperless office. Hah! The truth is that we now use even more paper than ever before and this point really came home to me today.

I spent almost the entire morning printing out every piece of email and copies of every letter etc that I’d written over the course of the last 2 ½ years in preparation for a meeting tomorrow with my solicitor. Helen then spent another three hours filing it in chronological order so that we would be able to sit in a meeting and pull out pieces of paper to photocopy if necessary.

This is the first time we’ve actually got together face to face with the solicitor and of course everything has to be on paper because when it comes to taking the insurer that we’re wrapped up with to court, electronically stored records are inadmissible. How crazy is that?

In this day and age everything has to be on paper and not just once but duplicated to let the other side have copies too! I have used an entire ream of paper, 500 sheets, replicating information that I already have in my PC and that I could easily copy electronically with just a few clicks of a mouse.

I read an interesting article the other day about the development of artificial paper that feels like the real thing predominantly for newspapers that you can then plug in and download. That way you can read it like a real newspaper rather than the version I now receive every day via the internet on screen.

This speaks volumes for me about the lack of trust that we have in technology. Whilst we all crave after the latest thing, whatever it is, we still feel uncomfortable about rocking the boat too much. I suppose we haven’t really come that far from the days when inventors were trying to come up with mechanized horses!

That’s it for tonight. I’m off to read a paperback novel, none of that e-book nonsense for me!

Night Night

Mikey

No comments: